Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Online Information Universe

There is just too much out there. You can only read so much before you need to experience life in person....I am about as prepared as a person can be. I am to the point where I simply can't read anymore. It's the same stuff over and over again. Airplanes and flight are fairly simple, and there's no arguing with the laws of physics. Now, I just need to work with an instructor to put it all into order and perspective and start providing some structure to the whole endeavor.

But not before I let you in on the long list of materials available to you if you so desire to wallow in aeronautical knowledge:

The Aeronautical Information Manual (AIM)

Airplane Flying Handbook

Aviation Weather

Aviation Weather Services

Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge

FAA Practical Test Standards

FAA Weight and Balance Handbook

FAA Examiner's Handbook

FAA Instrument Procedures Handbook

A pile of FAA Advisory Circulars, AOPA pdf files, and even the POH for the Diamond DA-20 that I will be flying soon.

Naturally, some of these things will need to be purchased, just due to the inconvenience of printing out a couple thousand pages....but for the initial familiarization of the material, it's a good way to start off cheap. On top of that, I will need to obtain the FAR (14 CFR) and that's not available in an easy-to-download format. So my next purchase will almost definitely be the FAR/AIM combo book.

On top of all THIS, then, are the handful of VFR sectionals that I picked up recently.

If you add up all of the costs of the little things, I've probably spent just under $200. Compared to entering ground school with little or no background, I'd say it's money well spent. Also considering that I've spent a couple hundred hours just simply reading as well as about 18 hours in the copilot's seat of my friend's plane in the last year (actually navigating, mind you), I'm hoping to have a leg up on the expensive side of the training equation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just find blogs contains summary of pilot handbook of aeronautical knowledge.
You cand find it at http://ma3naido.blogspot.com/