Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The Winds of Change


Today wasn't shaping up to be a very good flying day. Just like yesterday, the winds were up and gusting...not bad for flying, but not good for soloing, either.

I arrived at about 3 pm and the winds were still about 15 knots, as forecast. In fact, T.I. was considering calling me to cancel just because there isn't a lot we need to do besides get the solo done. I asked if it was pretty much like yesterday, which he confirmed, so I said that I wouldn't mind still flying and doing something else. We decided to jump ahead a bit and do some of the simulated instrument training and go over a few preliminaries for cross-country flying.

So, we went into the classroom to go over the lesson. It involved reviewing the instrument scan and then some introduction to weight-and-balance. We also went over short- and soft-field takeoffs and landings. While T.I. spoke, I had a clear view of the mid-field windsock, and just kept hoping that it would slack off a little.

As luck would have it (you can't really be a pilot unless you're a little lucky, right?) the wind began to die down. After the 15 or so minutes we talked, it had stayed consistently calm. As T.I. finished the lesson, he looked outside and said, "Wow, the wind really went away." I said, "Yeah, in fact it's been down the whole time you were talking."

"Hmmm....we might change our plans, then."...things were looking good.

So out we went and up into the air. As we lifted off, the decision was made: remain in the pattern. The air was remarkably smooth considering the conditions up until a short while ago. Around we went, the old familiar course...

My landings were still a bit heavy with power, a
nd T.I. gave me some advice to slowly bring it out a bit sooner than I had been. I had a couple of bounces, but I had it under control, and we survived...

After 5 landings, the wind was still calm. It was time. "You ready to go by yourself?" "I think so."

Back to the hangar, and go over the lo
gbook and last minute advice. Mainly to watch my airspeed and throttle settings on that last 50 feet above the ground. Then I was off. A bit nervous, as I suppose I am for every flight, but actually feeling really good about the whole thing. I had it set in my mind that I would stick these landings, and I just focused on that. Everything else is almost habit at this point.

As usual, the plane lifts off much sooner without the extra weight, and I would have been speeding through the pattern if I hadn't taken a bit of the power out...kept it at about 2000 rpm rather than our typical 2200. And there it was, my first solo approach. I had it made, a
nd I greased it onto the runway...flaps up....full power....off we go again.

With other traffic in the pattern, I made a right hand approach for the next one, and had to extend downwind a bit to give some room, but no problem. Pretty typical for this field. Down I came, and again, hit it right on. This was getting to be too easy. Probably was, compared to the ridiculous crosswinds yesterday...

Around one more time, everything set up just right. Another smooth landing and an exit to the first taxiway (a general indication of a really good landing and rollout). All in all, probably the three best landings I've ever had. Photos and handshakes all around, a congratulation from the tower controller, and a virtually perfect end to a questionably-starting day.



No comments: