Thursday, October 8, 2009

Winging It With The Cadets

Tonight I attended another CAP cadet meeting. I have been going to more of these than I probably need to, especially since I'm still working into the system, but the squadron commander is happy to have me. Tonight, he asked if I was comfortable reviewing a cadet's non-passing test with him to make sure he gets some remedial help before taking it again.

I looked at the test - basic aviation stuff, but not too much different than the FAA written exam. The squadron commander had already graded the test, but hadn't marked the correct answers on the questions the cadet had wrong. So, I had to know the right answers, and also be able to explain intelligently the why's and how's so that he would understand. How's that for jumping right in.

I surprised even myself. It turns out that the cadet's no-pass really just came from a severe lack of studying. Most of his wrong answers were outright guesses. Nonetheless, we went through it question by question. Aircraft systems, airport lighting and signage, and some other basic aeronautical knowledge...phew...and I didn't have to stumble around and find a book to reference. Somehow, even though my own flying has been infrequent at best, all that stuff is still in my head.

On another note, I also finally contacted the wing public affairs officer this week about my idea for putting together some articles about this experience. Short answer: "Definitely go for it!" So, I'm encouraged about combining my interests in aviation and writing. We shall see if I can put together a coherent pitch to AOPA.

No comments: