Sunday, October 9, 2011

Overloaded Circuits

It was windy, but not overly so. Nonetheless, I haven't had a day of pattern work like this since 2007. To wit:

Nine touch-and-goes, with some of my most consistently wonky patterns ever. If you want a visual illustration of the difference between accuracy and precision, you couldn't do much better. Precision? Did pretty well at holding heading and altitude visually. Accuracy? Though altitude was pretty good, with just a couple of spikes, my heading was consistently off due to two main causes: the shifting winds and the right-hand traffic pattern that made it hard to judge my downwind turn - especially being over water with no set turning point. You can see the result as my downwind leg is pretty much a random walk.

The Tecnam continues to be somewhat challenging, even though the instructor says I'm picking it up pretty well for someone with a full private certificate. Though generally such a pilot is too heavy on the controls, my experience with the Diamond gives me a leg up. Now if I could just find a way to erase the fact that I haven't flown in a year...

On the plus side, I got some good experience with gusty winds, up- and down-drafts, and a gentle crosswind. On the negative, it's a bit frustrating to be doing the same things that I covered in primary training. Ultimately, it's for the best, but it would be nice to get off this self-imposed plateau caused by not flying for so long.

No comments: