Sunday, August 4, 2013

Oshkosh! (Part Deux)

I don't know how often I will be able to make a trip to Oshkosh.  I don't know how people manage to go every year, especially those who fly in from across the country.  It's not just a week of vacation, it's all the planning, planning, and more planning that goes into the trip...plus the risk of bad weather.  I also don't know whether or when another family member will be able to make the journey with me, as my son was able to do this time around.

My first trip in 2011 was quite the eye-opener.  As a non-homebuilder, there's a vast airport full of things I simply can't get to, not that they aren't interesting.  For example, I didn't spend much time in the workshops or forums on vintage aircraft - even as a pilot there's only so much you can do.  So I was a bit cautious of how many days a non-pilot would be able to stand. 

But a 10 year old knows no such limitations.  Everything was interesting...well, almost.  Forums were out.  He sat through one that I wanted to attend and that was it.  We were there a total of four days, and his favorite parts by far were the daily (and one night) airshows, Jetman, the warbird reenactment of Pearl Harbor, and of course, the premier of Disney's Planes.

Unlike some past years, the weather was perfect for the entire time we were there, with only one blustery afternoon that eventually turned still and clear for the night airshow.  I always enjoy watching the aerobatics and didn't even miss the military jets that didn't make it this year due to the federal budget cuts.  Last time, I got to hear Chuck Yeager and Burt Rutan speak.  But this time, though he didn't do a presentation, I got to shake hands and get Bob Hoover's autograph.  That's a highlight for any pilot.



No comments: