Friday, December 14, 2007

Not So Fast

A few weeks ago, my instructor said that things would happen quite fast as I neared the end of my flight training. The reason for this is that the cross-country trips tend to pile the hours on much faster than the 90-minute lessons that are more common in the beginning. While this is true in theory, and makes logical sense, the weather becomes a significant factor this time of year.

So, while I probably could have had my certificate by now if I'd started a month earlier, I struggle to find a decent sized hole in the weather and the work schedule -- big enough for another cross-country and a block of time for a checkride. So, when the sun broke through earlier this week, it was a target of opportunity. I took a long lunch and went up for a quick flight to tighten up my maneuvers.

It was a short trip, only 0.9 hours, but enough to keep things fresh. I focused on sticking right at my target altitude through some ground reference and steep turns, and then came back for a couple of touch-and-gos. I wanted to keep my transitions nice and crisp, with smooth turns, climbs, and descents. Overall, it went well, but my steep turns still need work. Well, it's always something.

No comments: